The Paleo Recipe Book

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Copain 2005 Madder Lake Syrah

Copain just released (and I just received happily) their 2007 single vineyard Syrahs and Pinot Noirs (2 offerings of each type), so I was in the mood to pop a 2005 Madder Lake Syrah. This is a wine I have had from other vintages, including 2004 and found them to be fairly open and floral fruity wine.

This 2005 Madder Lake was no different. The nose had a great sweet smokey quality to it. Almost a sweet BBQ cedar component and sone cranberry. The aroma was very nice.

This 2005 Syrah captured great dark fruit and sour cherry on the palate with a pretty sweet blueberry finish. I enjoyed that as I love blueberry, but it could be a tad sweet at the end for some. Had a good dryness touch at the end which could, for a moment throw some off as a cabernet. More likely it is just still young.

I thought this was a solid wine from Copain. I enjoy so many of their wines and I am a proud mailing list member. Wells Guthrie - the winemaker does a really nice job year in and year out.

Let this air out some if tasting it in the near term, but the flavors and aroma are all there.

90 Points

Copain Wine Search

No comments: