The Paleo Recipe Book

Thursday, March 5, 2009

2005 Beckmen Grenache Purisima Mountain Vineyard - Beckmen Vineyards

Beckmen is a favorite producer of mine for Syrah and now - Grenache. I love the style of his wines and this Purisima vineyard offering from the 2005 vintage was something pretty special. Actually, it may be the best wine I have had in the last 2-3 months.

I have limited experience with Grenache, but like any varietal - there are strong and weak. The Beckmen was not weak. Class, style and inviting. It was really fun to explore this wine as I was drinking it because I had no idea what was coming. My lack of exerience with quality Grenache wineries and vineyards made my impressions and tasting notes much more natural and unfiltered. Unlike cabernets where you are expecting some blackberry, currant, tannins and so on - I didn't have that here. But - that will probably be the last time as quality Grenache will be something I will look more for in the future. Beckmen and others.

Wine Note

Opened for 30 minutes prior with low pours. (further bottle time and longer opening would be even better)

Aroma of cinnamon, even cinammon toast ( a flashback to my childhood!), some strawberry. A wonderful rich array of fragrances coming from this wine. Very nice and evolving. Tastes of terrific dark mountain fruit, violets blueberry, black cherry, cream and really smooth combinations of flavor. Alcohol is 15.8% and you don't feel it on the taste or finish at all. Well - you "feel it" after a while lol, but there is no heat here that affects balance or taste enjoyment.

Finish is amazingly long, smooth and classy. 30 second plus finish. This wine is really my style. I'm all over it and will look to get more.

94 Points

No comments: