The Paleo Recipe Book

Sunday, March 1, 2009

2005 Mon Coeur Cotes du Rhone - Mon Coeur Wine

The 2005 Mon Coeur Cotes du Rhone was a wine I purchased a few months ago at an attractive price at auction. It has been a while since I have enjoyed a nice Rhone wine and not California Rhone! Actually I love many California Rhone style wne producers.

2005 is a very strong vintage throughout France. The Bordeaux hype is off the charts crazy of course. I am holding many wines from Burgundy and Bordeaux from 2005 and I hope many of you are as well. They will reward the wine drinker after aging some. The Mon Coeur was one I wanted to try early as it is not a big tannic young cabernet or merlot blend.

The aroma of this wine did not display a lot of youthfulness. It had a classic rhone nose of some ash, slight barnard which blew off by the second glass and some old world style terroir fruit.

The wine had a very nice taste of tea leaf, some citrus, fruit and spices. This changed as it was consumed which shows it youth and makes it a fun bottle to taste. It had some tartness on the finish and was a little disjointed towards the end, which I'll chalk up to the youngness of this Rhone wine. This is a food bottle, as most wines are - especially bottles from France, Italy and most classic grapes and traditional winemaking areas and producers.

The Mon Coeur provides a nice glimpse into the vintage and what this bottle may deliver in the years ahead.

I think I will hold off on an exact rating or score here. I'll say 88-90 point range for now.

No comments: