The Paleo Recipe Book

Monday, March 2, 2009

2008 Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc - Nobilo

I am a big fan of affordable and flavor filled New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. I drink a lot of them. Great summer wines. Most are very tasty and made by reliable producers. Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, including names like Nobilo, Brancott, Kim Crawford, Oyster Bay and my favorite - Cloudy Bay deliver consistency year after year...most of the time. 2008 so far seemed to be right there with 2007 wines and earlier vintages.

These wines should also be consumed young. Within 2 years of vintage IMO.

The price for most Sauvignon blancs are under $15. The Nobilo was $12. I may have seen this wine cheaper elsewhere. Anyway, this may be a one and done for me.

Wine Tasting Note

Very green and citrus smelling. Had that tart and sour smell and I was hoping the aroma would be just a little overstated and the taste wouldn't reflect these over done aromas. The taste was exactly what I feared. Very heavy grapefruit, lemon and citrus with unripe fruit within it. Mouthfeel was heavier than most Sauvignon Blancs - so it is not watery or light. Plenty of flavor - just the wrong kind for me.

The acidity, which is usually a virtue with Sauvignon Blancs just goes over and beyond with the 2008 Nobilo. I found this harsh and unbalanced. There are too many good ones out there for the same price or better that I have to say this is a pass.

Score: 83 Points

All your Kitchen and Cookware needs are at Instawares

No comments: