The Paleo Recipe Book

Friday, March 27, 2009

2002 Beckmen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon - Beckmen

For anyone who knows me or has seen many of my wine tasting notes here and elsewhere, I am a big fan of Beckmen wines. I have really enjoyed their Syrahs and their Grenache was out of this world good and one of my favorite wines of this year.

2002 was a pretty ripe year for many areas in California. I have had some strong bottles of Cabernet from 2002, but I was unaware of Beckmen's offering of Cabernet Sauvignon. I bought this at a very affordable price on an auction site. Where most estate or single vineyard Cabs I drink come in at the $30-$40 range, this was bought for only $10. Beckmen's Syrah and Grenache are normlly over $30.

Wine impressions and notes

I found the 2002 Cabernet not my style at all. I don't know if this was an off bottle or not. It was not corked nor did it carry any suspicious odor or color. In fact the aroma has pretty rich with hints of earth, figs, brown sugar and black cherry. But once I took a sip, it was just a thick jammy mess honestly. I hate saying that as I do love this producer, but this just clunked for me. Jammy, tannic with some black cherry, and dark fruit. Got very tart and a little harsh towards the end too and did I say "thick"?

This 2002 was just a total miss for me and way out of balance. If this was an off bottle, so be it. I have had too much experience with this solid producer to slam this bottle with a low score, so I'll leave a score out. If I was a professional big shot taster like Robert Parker or Jim Laube, I'd have my secretary request another bottle of this to compare. But alas, I have no such resources - nor the motivation to seek it out again.

If you can find their Grenache or any of their Syrahs - go for it.

I guess I leave it right there. On to the next wine....

No comments: