The Paleo Recipe Book

Saturday, April 4, 2009

2005 Eric Kent Chardonnay Russian River Valley

2005 was an excpetional year for Chardonnay in the Russian River Valley area and throughout much of California. Eric Kent is one of the producers I enjoy from that area. I have enjoyed Chardonnays, Syrahs and Pinot Noir from this producer.

The wine had nice aroams of nuts, sweet butter and light oak. The swirl seemed not to show a heavy oaky chardonnay. It looked light on it's feet. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with full flavors of lemon oil, oak and very crisp acidity - almost spritzy for a chardonnay. I happen to like chardonnays like this. Full flavor but not heavy or over oaked. The lemon flavors are a bit too much on the back end of the palate which knocks a few pointies off - fwiw. Finish is good but a bit simple and citrus driven.

Not that this wine isn't delicious...it is. If you ask me, it's a go. It's really my style. For Chardonnay purists, maybe not. It has a "wee bit" sauvignon blanc flavors and acidity. I don't mind that either. A tasty wine is a tasty wine if you ask me.

Would I peg this as 2005 Russian River Valley? No way. Try some heavies from Kistler and some others and you can literally see in the glass the difference in concentration. I happen to not love the Kistler style myself and their wines are literally double what Eric Kent's are.

This Eric Kent chardonnay can be enjoyed by itself but would be terrific with some raw clams or oysters. The spritz, acidity and other chardonnay characteristics make it a perfect match for cold seafood.

Score for me: 89 points

Enjoy!

No comments: