The Paleo Recipe Book

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mara Syrage Lot 7 - Tasting Note 2006 Mara Wine

Mara is a California producer at the medium price end (generally). I only have had 1 vintage experience with a Zinfandel wine a few years ago. My recollection was that it was lean in body with strong flavor and sweetness. That is a very general thought from memory. I rarely see Mara locally, but occaisonally see their Zinfandel. At a price tag usually in the mid $20's to $30, I was not a buyer of the Zinfandel. The Syrage Lot 7 was a surprise find - and at $16

This 2006 from Mara is a Merlot Syrah blend and I have really enjoyed Merlot Syrah blends. I find both really work together. Merlot is a great grape to blend with it's fruit lushness, full body style and low dryness and tannins.

I opened this little fella in the afternoon picking on some cheese and crackers. A great early stop to a work day! I'm drinking a lot more wine lately - have I mentioned that? Anyway, back to the wine:

Wine Tasting Notes

The 2006 Mara Syrage Lot 7 was opened for 30 minutes and this is an easy crowd pleaser - I could tell. Very open aromas of sweet, rich dark fruit and a little nutmeg. Very inviting stuff. The taste matched the aroma with a nice full bodied feel of cranberry, cherries, real good acidity with balance. Nice yummy full finish with some cocoa and chocolate added in. Good things going on here.

Aside from the usual points for this or that. The Mara Syrage is just tasty stuff and would please any fun wine drinker who may not be THAT serious (no one really should be) into wine. Might be a tad sweet for some, but I think that's adds to the wine as the Syrah really gives it that rich spice that makes the blend really work IMO

A QPR (Quality Price Ratio) winner. Pick some up

90 Points

2 comments:

Nick said...

This is turning into one of my family's favorite house everyday wines. They have these at my local Costco for $11. Steal beyond steals. Buy em'

Buy Wine Here

Nick said...

The Mara Syrage is still one of the best daily wines you can drink. A solid pleaser!

Nick