The Paleo Recipe Book

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Joe Czerwinski Wine Enthusiast Column May 2009 - Taking Proper Care of Fine Wine

If you get a chance to pick the May 2009 edition of the Wine Enthusiast magazine, please do so. Joe Czerwinski wrote a column on a subject that I have thought about and wrote about myself - the conditions of wines that are shipped and stored before it reaches us.

I always chuckle when I read posts on forums about people who bought this Eurocave or even lower end Haier wine storage units and complain how they don't keep perfect humidity levels or the temp jumps from 55-59 degrees too frequently. I always reply that we - let's say the semi to serious wine drinker store our wines like they were babies compared to how many importers, distributors and stores do. Have you ever driven to your local wine store on a hot summer day and notice a truck backing up near the door to unload cases of this and that?

How many times have you walked in a store and it is at least 75 degrees in there - with a bright store light beating down on the bottles, customers handling the wine and putting back hundreds of times. It's really amazing that much of this wine by the time we take it home is even drinkable. I shake my head every day. Now for the cheaper "drink now" wines and the consumers who enjoy them - it may not matter and let's be honest, that's the consumer most stores shoot for. Still, it really bothers me and it is why I prefer to buy my wine from the producers themselves and age it myself or through reliable auction house where the history of the wine is documented.

Taking proper care of wine is too often NOT a high priority for the various hands involved in the shipment and stroage of these wines - especially delicate or long term aging wines.

I will not buy older wines in any store because of this. I will buy at auction if the wine has been stored by a private collector. I have much more fath in that.

Either way, the wine enthusiast is good this month and Joe Czerwinski stuck a cord with me on his column. Well done!









Custom Search

No comments: