The Paleo Recipe Book

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2003 Chateau des Fines Roches Chateauneuf du Pape - CDP

It has been a while since I have enjoyed a nice (not too young) Chateauneuf. I have always felt that for their Price to Quality Value (QPR), CDP is tough to beat. Compare the top quality Chateauneuf du Papes to Bordeaux or Burgundy and the price difference is pretty stark. True, most CDP - whether 2001, 2003 or other good years generally can't compete with a top Bordeaux wine from 2000, 2003 - but they are different wines. Most Bordeaux wines are fuller as they are blended with fuller grapes normally (Cabernet, Merlot).

The one negative for me with Chateauneuf Du Pape is having to write it many times in a wine review! like the Des Fines Roches 2003 CDP. The wine is worth it. Although I am going to abbreviate from hear on as I am a bit tired today and have been on my PC working on other stuff. I don't just drink wine and write about it. Although I wish I could!

Notes and Review

This had a very youthful and vibrant color. Not that 2003 is old, but CDP can be duller in color - if color in your wine is important. I kinda like a nice shine to my wine.

Aroma of sour cherries, earth and some floral components. I wrote Violets. The nose evolved to over time shaking off some of the earth and must (there wasn't much of the latter though). No funk or barnyard characteristics that can sometimes come through early on other Chateauneuf Du Pape. Not with the Chateau des Fines Roches.

The palate had nice cherries, cold stone terroir and finesse. The tannins were well integrated and the finish was clean and straight. Not long and fairly simple finish for this 2003 wine, but Chateauneuf Du Papes are not thick and long Napa Cabernets, so the ending of this wine should be judged for it's grape and make up.

All in all a very good wine for the price ($25 or so) and is available for searching with retail stores online.

Score: 89 Points

Find CDP and Other Wine on The Internet

No comments: