The Paleo Recipe Book

Monday, October 13, 2008

Wine Reviews - Brief Tasting notes October 2008, Neal Family Cabernet, Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc Tasting

Sometimes I like to just share a group of wines I may have had during a week or weekend and well...with the stock market the way it was this past week, good wines were needed. I have very brief notes here, actually more brief impressions. Neal Family is one of the wineries I had the past few days. I had several bottle offerings from them this week as I received a wine allocation in recent weeks. So we will call this sort of an overview of recent wines (Cabernet, Zinfandel and Sauvignon Blanc) and a bit of a profile of one of my favorite wineries.

Neal Family Winery


Neal is a family owned winery in Napa that I have enjoyed for several years now. They are not a large production winery, but not small either. Much of their wine is bought through their mailing list, but some of their larger case production varietals (their Napa Cabernet and Zinfandel mostly) can be found through online retailers. I have met the owner Mark Neal and I have had dinner with him in New York City, with others. He visits NYC a few times a year and lets his customers know so we can meet up and share a dinner. He brings the wines and we have a blast. I am on their mailing list (full disclosure as the stock pros say lol!)

Anyway - they make a very good Napa Cabernet, several single vineyard offerings (or designates - SVD) of cabernet. They produce a high quality and consistant Zinfandel that is not overly alcohol loaded or hot. Neal makes a very attractive Petite Sirah and Sauvignon blanc that I have had and own. And...an excellent Extra Virgin Olive Oil! I did not have THAT this week, but it is wonderful stuff that tastes right off the tree.

On to the wines I tried recently:

2004 Neal Family Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain

This was from a magnum I had of this. 1.5 liter. Basically double a regular bottle size for those who may not be aware. Magnums from low production producers are a pretty special thing. This is why you very very rarely see doublke sized bottles of the real good wines in your store. They are more collectors items for the mailing list and they are pretty cool to open. I found this to be very balanced and aged. 2004 is not an old vintage, but I did not find it tannic or over done on the dark fruit. It was a very classy cabernet. One of my favorite Neal offerings for sure.

2006 Neal Family Zinfandel

This is a wine I usually get 6 or 12 every time I buy and well - they don't last. Zinfandel is not usually an ege worthy grape anyway. At least it's not a wine that improves IMO. I really enjoy the Neal Zinfandel though as it really is what Zin should be. Up front fruit, good right away but not having any hotness, crazy alcohol content or other over the top taste. It is a wonderfully balanced wine and for $22 or so, it is a great buy and a fun wine to have with food or just hanging out. Have it on the cool side.

2007 Neal Family Sauvignon Blanc

I had 2 bottles of this over the last week with friends and family. It was fresh and clear with decent concentration. I found it a little too on the lemon tasting side for me. It had the crisp tropical flavors, but it was a little peely after a while. One of those first or second glass you're enjoying it and then shortly after, your palate gets weary and you realize you would rather be drinking something else. I enjoy several Napa Sauvignon Blancs, Frog's Leap and Switchback Ridge are 2 of my favorites. Nothing wrong with this wine, but out of their lineup, it is my least favorite and it is double the price of many New Zealand ones. I find New Zealand is still the king of affordable and delicious Sauvignon Blanc.

Find Neal and other hard to find wines HERE:




Metrokane Rabbit Wine Opener Gift Set, Silver

No comments: