The Paleo Recipe Book

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

2005 Beckmen Block Six Syrah Purisima Mountain Review Tasting

Beckmen is becoming one of my favorite syrah producers in California. The Block Six Syrah Purisima Mountain bottle from 2005 was outstanding. It had wonderful fruit and structure for drinking now and wonderful aging potential.

This was opened for 90 minutes and then tasted with a few Italian cheeses. Fiore Di Sardegna was one of them. The smell of the wine was just awesome and the taste was even better. The following was a review tasting note written as I tasted it:

Deep rich color with aroma of brown sugar, raisin and some coffee. Tastes of rasberry, cinnamon, lots of ripe blackberry and some dark chocolate. Really terrific palate. Even the mouthfeel is not as heavy as the look. Very balanced and no heat. Very finessed and a long finish.

This is young with legs for aging easy. Best of both worlds here. Kind of like some high quality ripe 2002 Napa Cabs in that you can drink now and enjoy the lushness (this was opened for 90 min.) or hold. Finesse without trying to blow you away with cheap thrills. Not tannic either but you can feel the stuffing and the perfect acidity.

92-94 points and the upside could be even be a point more. I loved it.

There aren't many bottles produced of this so to source this wine bottle, you would need to be on their mailing list or acquire it via the Internet or auction.

Price range is $45-$60 I believe. Note: I only mention price so that people who read these tasting notes can quantify the value for themselves in a price to quality wine perspective. Granted, one person's quality to price is diffferent than anothers but I think it helps to know when a 92 point rated wine - rated by me or wine publication costs $10 or $50. I hope that most of you agree with that and want me to keep the price (range at least) in the notes.

I love this producer and will get and drink as much of Beckmen's wines as I can get.

Wine and Kitchen Supply Store

Find Beckmen Wines by searching Winezap:

Search:

1 comment:

Nick said...

I had this wine again last night. While this Beckmen Syrah has great power and age legs for several years, it is delicious now. Bursts of blackberry, current and dark fruit. It grew and grew over a 2 hour period.

It was a good election night wine to taste. Thankfully this wasn't 2000 as I was able to go to bed at a decent hour this time. The wine was much better than what I was probably drinking in 2000 also.