The Paleo Recipe Book

Friday, October 24, 2008

2006 Herman Story Syrah Wine Note - Larner Vineyard Review

I have really been into top quality/niche California Syrah and really enjoy tasting them and getting distinct, classy flavors in many of them. One of them at the top of the list for me recently is the 2005 Herman Story Larner Vineyard Syrah.

I opened this wine around 4:00 with some Frdiay appetizers of Olives, Hard Cheeses and some Crackers. We then had a dinner of fried chicken cutlets, Fresh Mozzarella and carolina white rice steamed in chicken stock and butter. I wished the wine lasted longer.

This is the first time I have tried this wine from Herman Story, but it is not unknown to the wine mailer purchaser, auction buyer or just cult wine geeker. It is very much in that Copain style of true to roots Rhone style syrah in a great wine maker tradition from France. As I was about to write my notes down, I was blown away by the 15.9% alcohol on the label. No way does it feel like that. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

In my wine note I had this:

2005 Herman Story Syrah, Larner Vineyard - Santa Ynez Valley

Aroma of Baked Apple and cinnamon. I remember baked apples from my mom making them. I never liked them as my mom only made them because she was always on a diet and tried to pass them off as real desserts. My sister and I probably resented them because of that. "I could sure go for some real apple pie and melted ice cream right now". That is what you could probably ESP out of my sister and I. They also looked like little monkey brains in retrospect. Wow! - THAT was a helluva drift huh? Sorry. Back to the wine....

Ok. (putting the baked apple out of my mind) and back to the notes. The cinnamon and apple aroma was really nice on this wine. Some ripe plums as well. The nose was really big and the mouthfeel was huge. Now this is a 2005 California Syrah and when you add in the nose, and mouthfeel, I was expecting a huge clunky young Syrah but know way. This really came through with delicious fruit of black cherry, some cola syrup, and rounded spice. The finish was long but aged. Really classy finish with a combination of great aging structure (I'd say 5-8 years easy) but great drinkability now - with some airing. I have had several delicious 2005 Syrahs from California and this is right up there.

I really liked the Herman Story Syrah a lot. I will seek more of them out.

93 Points

Create your own bottle of wine!

No comments: