The Paleo Recipe Book

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wine Values - Bottle Value

Ok, so making a post about wine values and lower pricing in the middle of a recession isn't exactly a new topic, but as the pinch is felt by more and more of my fellow wine lovers and fellow human beings, the time feels right to post some of what I'm seeing and hearing.

With the glut of global production and producers all over the world entering the market every month and year, the values are even starker now and will continue imo.

When I think or write "value", I am doing so with the understanding of a certain quality level to go along with it. What's the use of a $5 wine that tastes awful? I also don't want to get into specific bottles here - I'd like to leave that to people who may want to reply with their own and we can have some comment discussion. I also want to keep my red values to around $10 and up.

California Wine Values

Speaking on a pure red varietal basis, there are some wines that just give more for less. "less" meaning lower California pricing than Napa Cabernet, Russian River Valley Pinot Noir and high end Syrah from many of the cult or single vineyard producers.

California has dozens and dozens of lower priced - high value great varietals. My favorites are probably:

Petite Sirah - This wine varietal at it's best (there are always losers of any kind of wine) is full flavored, fruit driven with depth and since it can be produced in fairly large quantities, Petite Sirah is generally less expensive and it really can deliver. If I had to mention one specific value producer and bottle, I would choose Bogle. This is due to the consistent value and quality that it delivers and the availability and large production. It is normally $10 or less and is widely available. Petite Sirah wines can be easy pleasing tasty wines for very little money and California offers many great bottles. Good recession values, but I'll drink them regardless of where the Dow is!

Zinfandel - Red Zinfandels are high flavor, higher alcohol (normally) and provide excellent pricing value - given the characteristics they provide. There are many wonderful Zinfandel offerings along with many styles. Some leaner than others. There are lower end value Zinfandels like Cline, Ravenswood and some others. Up the value ladder a little and you can enjoy Seghesio and others. If you consistently want a 90 point or better wine (Wine Spectator Point System) for $15 and less, Seghesio delivers every year.

Malbec, Chianti and Merlot are probably my other top go-to reds if I have $15 in my pocket but I want some real flavor and wines that don't drink like their price tag.

Values and bottle prices are a very personal thing. Someones $20 value is another one's "too expensive"

If you have any favorite red wines that fall in the lower price category, please post a reply. I'd love to hear more out there.

Enjoy!

Nick

No comments: