The Paleo Recipe Book

Saturday, June 6, 2009

2005 Longboard Syrah Russian River Valley - Longboard Wine

Been on a Syrah run lately - but I have been heavy into Syrah for a few years. The Longboard was a first for me. It is from the Russian River Valley (love that area) and is the 2005. Alcohol is 14.5%

I got a recommendation from my local wine store the other day to pick this up. Usually this happens (the recommendation I mean) when I comment on another wine of the same varietal that I either had or just know. This happened with this wine. I was complimenting a petite sirah that I got from there - the two angels petite sirah. Good stuff there and will post soon.

The Longboard has a really cool note on the back of the bottle. Apparantly the winemaker/owners are surfers too. "Longboard". Took me a few glasses to notice myself!

On to the wine:

The nose had a really nice sweet smokey and cherry aroma too it. the tastes had round black fruit with a little green on the mid palate - a hint of earthyness within the fruit. I like that, but the green and earth kinda left as the wine was opened. It then offered more dark fruit and while fairly simple, it was a good finish and an all around fun wine.

88 Points

For $27 (I have to remember to post prices more I know!), I think the Longboard is a good, not great buy. Right in the middle. Quality California Syrah is not cheap but I think this was is right there for the price range. Again - Wine tasting is totally subjective and I am only offering up my impressions and hopefully writing about wines that you may not have been aware of previously.

Find Wine Storage Units

1 comment:

Nick said...

Need to try this wine again!