The Paleo Recipe Book

Friday, April 27, 2012

Classic Bordeaux and California Cabernets! - Wine Notes

This was from an amazing wine tasting party in Manhattan a few years ago.

Well, everyone has their "WOW WINE NIGHT" and this was mine. I was very fortunate to attend a private tasting in NYC given by a portfolio manager of a major brokerage firm that does business with a very good friend of mine.

These all came from his private cellar. The theme was one of his favorite Bordeaux vs. great CA. Cabs. None of the Leovilles were decanted, except the 82' - so you had to sit with these for a while to get some good impressions.

1994 Leoville-Las Cases

This was the first wine we tasted. Aroma of cedar and earth. Leather, cherry, vanilla. Very polished. Long finsh. 92 Points.

1990 Leoville-Las Cases

Great wine! Barnyard scent that eventually gave way to leathery, spicy and old world fruit that opened up later in the night. I did go back to it and glad I did. This was a favorite of many. The BX pros thought the 90 was more gratifying and open than the 89' initially, but the 89 was more preferable to some. Heaven. 95 Points.

1989 Leoville-Las Cases

This was a surprise hit for many (VS. the 82 and the 86) and a few had this as their favorite LLC. More tannic than the 90 with lovely earth, toasty oak, cedar and wonderful sweet fruit just coming out. This was the tightest of the bunch. Very youthfull. Long long life. 95 points.

1986 Leoville-Las Cases

This was a suprise. Wonderful aroma that would set up the taste. After my second sip of it, it tasted very dry, almost a little chalky. Thinking I had a little palate fatigue, I had some water and bread, but it was still there. I commented to someone else and they agreed. Our host thought the bottle was not showing well compared to another he had 6 months ago. Too bad. Off bottle? I was waiting for this one all night (along with the 82). THIS bottle: Still 90 points

1982 Leoville Las-Cases

This is the oldest BX I have ever had and how often do you drink a 100 point RP wine. Me: never.

This was decanted for 45 minutes or so. The anticpated LLC of the evening. Still youthfull nose. Fruit was lush and polished, but the tannins were silky but not heavy and the finish gave a lot but was short of "wow". It was the opinion of many and I that this bottle tasted near maturity - not that the wine itself is, but this bottle seemed slightly peaked to some or at worst, not improving. I still loved it and an experience I will cherish. 95 Points.

2002 Schrader Cellars CS to Kalon Vineyard

Served from a magnum. Awesome nose. Toasty, with huge lush fruit, needed major time, but I wasn't waiting!. A finish that went on and on. A killer wine that wowed many, including me. A decade to go easy. Where do I get some more of this?! 96 points.

1995 Silver Oak CS

A former champ that was simply overmatched tonight. Attractive nose, oak. Full bodied, balanced and polished. Good, not great finish. I have never had a 95 Silver Oak, but I would have liked to have tried this 3 years ago. Aging well, but for the better? I do not think this will improve. Classy cab, I like em' bigger than this. 91 Points.

2002 Switchback Ridge CS Peterson Family

Incredible aroma. Rich color. Crushed Blackberry, mint, dates, long serious finish. Wonderful. Would have loved to have tried this 3 hours later - but alas, the bottle was long gone! Another classic Cab to remember. Major years ahead obviously. 95-96 Points.

2000 Bryant Family CS

I was staring at this bottle all night knowing I may never get the chance to taste this again. WOW. Huge, huge, huge. The color was so deep and lush. Black and purple mix. Big dark fruit, sweet cassis, dark chocolate. Finish was a monster. Easy the best 2000 Napa Cab I have tried. It actually was better than any 1999 or 2001 Napa cab I have ever had! 96 Points

1995 Araujo Estate CS Eisele Vineyard

OMG! Can it get better? Yes! This was my WOTN and probably 1/3 of the rooms too. This is a 95? Amazingly youthfull. Toffee, spice, sweet big big fruit, circled in vanilla, with tannins that say "20 years easy". A finish to die for. 98 Points.

What a night!

No comments: