The Paleo Recipe Book

Saturday, March 6, 2010

2008 Neal Family Zinfandel

I have been a fan of Neal Family Vineyards in Napa Valley for 8 years or so. I have also met and dined with Mark Neal while tasting his wines. I have enjoyed a full range of their wines from the easy drinking and yummy Zinfandel (including the 2008) and their more complex offerings - especially their Cabernets and particularly, their Single Vineyard Cabernets.

I am not "usually" lol one to open a box of freshly delivered wine and pour away and while I didn't do quite THAT here - this endless winter of 2010 had me craving a summer fruity Zinfandel and the 2008 was recently shipped to my office.

I have had many vintages of this Zinfandel and while most Zins from California producers can vary little from year to year IMO based on the way the grape is meant to ripen, fruit forward with a higher degree of sugar - I enjoy some differences from year to year. I found the 2008 Neal Zinfandel very open as expected. It had a very full mouthfeel with good amounts of dark chocolate, mountain fruit and violet aroma and undertones. It was full, fruity and while a little thick for my tastes - the alcohol is kept in check 14.9 - which is right in the sweet spot for Zins IMO alcohol wise. The 2008 Neal gives you the pop and plush of a fun and very tasty zinfandel without the heat (alcohol hit or burn) that other zins can give.

So while a drinking a bottle by yourself will give you a "knock" for sure - I mean 14.9% Zinfandel will do it's job on ya but this wine can easily be slow consumed and corked up fine for several days ahead if you choose.

I don't normally put a score on Zinfandels but the Neal Family is in the very upper tier for it's price range. $20-$25 or so depending on where you can get it.

No comments: