The Paleo Recipe Book

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Kistler Chardonnay - 2005 Kistler Vineyard Review

I enjoy Kistler Chardonnays. The problem with them to many people is not the quality, but the price. Are you willing to pay $60 for top quality and rich california chardonnay? If not, then Kistler is not for you. I'm not sure they are always my style either and at their price points - it can be a hard buy. Still, 2005 was a stellar year for Kistler and Chardonnays in general.

I have had 5 or 6 Kistler 2005 vineyard offerings over the past year including Dutton Ranch, Mccrea Vineyard, Kistler Vineyard included. They are rich, buttery and age worthy. A classic Chardonnay vintage and Kistler really is at the upper tier of that but again - that is up to you on whether their price point is worth it. I love high end Chardonnay but Kistler's Pinot Noirs reallt hit my fancy for sure - but I digress...

Onto the wine I had tonight...

2005 Kistler Chardonnay Kistler Vineyard

Aroma of lemon, almond and merenge. Rich nose. Taste of toasted almond, vanilla, nuts, some lime and white pepper. The finish is rich and long. A little lighter (in a good way) on the back end of the palate vs. other Kistler Chardonnays from 2005. I found this had a full palate and rich mouthfeel but had more finesse on the finish. All in all this might be more my style than the more heavy buttery offerings I have had from them in 2005.

93 Points


Find Wine Cellar Coolers On Ebay HERE

1 comment:

Nick said...

I just received an email notifying me of an upcoming release from Kistler. I passed on the last offering mainly do to over load of wine ordering and price. This will be a tough decision as Kistler generally only takes customer orders by the case. I really love their pinot noirs. That could be the deal maker for me if I get any.